3.25.2009

millions of Peaches, Peaches for me.

So I was eating breakfast this morning.
And I was thinking.
about... fruit.
And how I actually have so many different stories behind each fruit.
And I associate different people
with different fruit...
It's not just because I've seen them eat it so much.
There is actually a story behind each person-fruit relationship.
So here's my list:

Peaches - my granpa (my dad's dad)
Apples, Mangos - my sister
Kiwis - my mom
Bananas - my cousins Joyce and Isaac
Pomegranates - my dad
Raspberries - my 할아버지 (my mom's dad)
Grapes - my 할머니 (my mom's mom)
Apricots - my granma (my dad's mom)
Plums - my friend Kristina
Strawberries - me.

I think the reason why I thought of this
was because I was eating a peach...
Or trying to eat a peach.
I realized I know how to cut almost every fruit.
Except a peach...
(And maybe a pineapple, just because I haven't tried.)
And then I was kind of sad.
Because peaches were what I claimed to be my favorite fruit...
for a while... except not really.
Because I love ALL fruits.
But peaches always make me think of my Granpa from my dad's side.
Whenever I eat a peach, I think about how,
when I was little and I used to live with my granparents
or used to visit them in California for the summers,
we rarely ate peaches.
And if we ate peaches, we ate it in secret in the kitchen,
while my granpa was studying or watching TV in the living room.
Because my granpa was deathly allergic to them.
If he even SAW peaches, he would have an allergic reaction...
so my mom and granma said...
I don't think it works like that,
but I just remember being scared that my granpa would walk in any second
and have an allergic reaction!
And I felt really worried every time I ate peaches in secret.
But I couldn't not eat them...
Peaches were SO good!
And then I would get really sad that
Granpa couldn't enjoy something THIS tasty...

And then many years later,
my sister (who hates fruits)
said that she can't eat fruits, especially peaches,
because her throat got itchy.
And then "OH! You must be allergic!"
was what my mom said.
And I thought that was really silly.
Even though my parents thought it was totally legit.
Since allergies, apparently, runs in the family,
and since my granpa was allergic,
my sister could totally be allergic.
But I didn't believe her.
Since she's been eating peaches fine her whole life til then.
And especially since she said the same thing about apples.
And then when she had her allergy test done,
they never said anything about apple or peach allergies.
Just corn and dust and pollen.
So I always though it was rude
that my sister faked my granpa's allergies.
Since his was so darn serious.

So these are all the things that run through my mind
every time I think about or eat peaches.
They are sweet and yum,
but there are some serious and sad things associated, too.
Not to mention the most recent story of my peach.
When I witnessed a CATERPILLAR wriggling around in my
oh so yummmmmm peach!
That could been my granpa in heaven,
trying to warn me not to eat peaches.
Maybe I'm secretly allergic
and only him and God know about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment